What does the governing body do?
The governing body has three core strategic functions:
• Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
• Holding the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils
• Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent
The Headteacher is responsible for the day-to-day running of the school. The governors support and challenge the Headteacher to ensure that the school delivers the best results for its pupils and makes good use of its money. In this sense the governors' role is similar to the directors of a company, with the Headteacher and other senior staff being the managers.
Who are the governors?
The membership of the governing body is set out in the legal agreement between the school and the government. It is intended to reflect the mix of stakeholders in the school, including parents, staff and the wider community. As Dyson Perrins is a Church of England school, a large number of governors are appointed by church bodies. This ensures that the school maintains its distinctive Christian ethos.
There are up to 21 governors of Dyson Perrins, made up of:
• 3 parent governors, elected by parents at the school
• 4 staff governors, elected by staff at the school
• The Headteacher
• 11 church governors, appointed by various local organisations within the Church of England
• 2 co-opted governors, appointed by the other governors because they have specific skills or experience that the governing body would benefit from
Governors have a right to vote on all committees they serve on. The Chair of Governors has the right to vote on all matters. Governors abstain from all votes they have an interest in, this includes the Business Manager at Finance and Resources Committees and the Headteacher at Full Governing Body Meetings.’ to, ‘Governors have a right to vote on all committees they serve on but must abstain from all votes they have an interest in.
Please contact, Katherine Godwin, Clerk to the Governors (email@example.com, about all matters relating to the Governors, including requests for copies of minutes.
To contact the chair of Governors please email: ChairOfGovernors@dysonperrins.worcs.sch.uk
Chair of Governors
Minutes of Governor Meetings
1 Committee Terms of Reference Policy
Governors' Financial and Attendance Details
School Financial Accounts
Articles of Association, Declarations etc
How can I get involved with the governors?
Please contact the Chair of Governors for details of any current vacancies on the governing body
How is the governing body organised?
The full governing body meets 5 times a year.
The governors also have three smaller sub-committees to look at specific areas in more detail, which each meet 4 times a year. These are:
• Curriculum & Performance Committee (which reviews data on the performance of the school and challenges the school on how it will improve)
• Finance & Resources Committee (which monitors the school's finances, buildings and health and safety)
• Students & Staffing Committee (which considers HR issues, student welfare and improvements in teaching and learning)
There is a link governor for each subject area in the school. They act as a critical friend and ensure the governing body is aware of successes and issues across the school. Finally, the governors have a number of committees and panels which will meet only when necessary. For example, a Governors' Disciplinary Panel meets whenever a student has been permanently excluded from the school to consider the reasons for the exclusion.