Free School Meals
Do I qualify for free school meals?
Free School Meals can only be awarded if you or your partner are claiming either;
- Universal Credit provided they have an annual net earned income not exceeding £7,400 (616.67 per month)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by HMRC
- Working Tax Credit run-on-paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax
How long will my child get free school meals?
Free school meals are awarded for the period of your qualifying benefit or support payment. Your claim for Free School Meals will be reviewed on a regular basis. We use an online Free School Meals eligibility checking system provided by the Department for Education to confirm your entitlement.
Why should I apply for free school meals if I do not wish my child/children to receive them?
We would like to ask you to consider registering your child/children as eligible for free school meals, whether or not you intend to take up the option of them actually having a free school meal. This is because a great deal of the funding that comes from the Government for schools is based on the numbers of pupils eligible for free school meals. So by registering for free school meals you will be helping the funding of your child’s school.
How can I apply for free school meals?
Please complete the online form. Our office staff can help if you have any problems.